29.000km, 175 days, 190km per day
JAMES BOWTHORPE: Worldrecord
James did the impossible, a 29,065km (a circumnavigation of the world) cycle in 175 days. In doing so, he improved the existing world record by less than 19(!) days. View the route on http://whereintheworldisjames.com/ or read his blog at http://www.globecycle.org/blog/.
For the fans, just a few facts about the ride (always good to know):
* Lots of riding, about 14 hours a day
* Little sleep: never more than 5 hours
* Lots of food
* Sometimes (very) ill
* Very few breakdowns (mostly flat tires)
* 1x belt replaced, it is still on (after 19,500km)
* Still has the original handmade Santos touring wheels!
James was prime time news in England. The day after his return, the BBC showed a piece about James on the 7 o'clock news. If you listen carefully you can hear James say that there was a 'minor ' problem with his crank, but apart from that he only had flat tyres. Brilliantly done James, and brilliantly done also by the technicians at Santos!